01 July 2010

Goettingen, and Why Little Fans Should Just Stay In America

Goettingen University can claim many famous alumni--Bismarck, the Brothers Grimm, and Werner Heisenberg (the Nazi a-bomb guy. Look him up.)--and is one of the few schools Ole Miss has an exchange program with that doesn't specialize in math/ computers/ something else I have no interest in. Anyway, I wanted to visit and see the town for myself before I make my decision as to where I'll be spending my semester/ year.

We spent Sunday afternoon at a doener restaurant in one of the plazas watching soccer. It was such good game, and the crowd was so responsive. Afterward, people rode around in their cars and honked their horns and waved their flags and yelled "Schland!" just like after every other victory thus far. However, perhaps because this was a more impressive win, or perhaps just because we were in a college town, the honking and waving and yelling went on for hours and well into the night.

Germany isn't too big on air conditioning, which is understandable, seeing as the vast majority of our days here have seen perfect weather. However, Sunday and especially Sunday night were both quite hot. In my prepared-for-all-things suitcase, I had my little fan, so, naturally, I plugged it in to my converter. I sat in the moving air, thinking smugly to myself that it was worth having my obscenely large suitcase, the size of which every cab driver and hotelier has commented on, just to have such things as a fan and appreciated the scent of fresh plastic it blew on my face. That is, until I noticed that it was not, in fact, a scent of fresh plastic, but of burning plastic. In that very instant, sparks flew out from the little fan, this lights shut off, and I fell from my bed in shock. Turns out my converter was just an adapter plus a power surge protector, and I had blown the power for the majority of the second floor.

On Monday, Martin and I walked around Goettingen. We saw their synagogue memorial and a few churches, then grabbed doeners and headed to the University's campus to play the people watching game. It was so much fun, watching German students and making up their slightly melodramatic life stories based solely on their appearances. After hanging out there for a while, we headed back to the hotel for naps, then went for Mexican food and the Chile-Brazil game.

Overall, our time in Goettingen was really laid back. It was nice to kind of just catch our breath and chill out for a bit. I hadn't realized how exhatusted I was until I woke up from Monday's nap and saw that I had slept for five hours. And I'm still mourning the loss of the little fan. It was so cute and worked so well in the few seconds before its demise.

I'll update soon with Hamburger stories.

Peace,
Eli

No comments:

Post a Comment