21 June 2010

Bavaria, or Why I'll Always Giggle When I See Johnny Depp

Last Tuesday, Martin and I said goodbye to German Family 1 in Bad Soden and took the train from Frankfurt to Würzburg, where we were picked up by Gabi and Andi, members of German Family 2. Let's just say that Germany is keeping us on our toes--swirling letters spelled out "Keep It Country" across Andi's shirt, and, while in the car to Rothenburg, Tik Tok came on the radio.

Rothenburg is absolutely gorgeous, albeit quite touristy. It's on what's known as the Romantic Road, and it's pretty easy to see why. I felt like I was walking around in a fairy tale! We spent a few hours just walking in a garden and the city. Martin and I were tired, though, so, after our first dönner kebap (phenomenal!), we loaded up in the Mercedes and struck on the autobahn toward Kronach.

Let me just say this about the autobahn: it's frightening. Or maybe it's something that takes some getting used to. Whichever it is, I have never feared for my life more than I did as the speedometer crept past 180 km/h. Everything turned out fine (obviously), but I guess I understand why so many people opt to take the trains instead of driving.

German Family 2 doesn't watch soccer. I didn't think it was possible, but it's true. So, instead of soccer, we watched movies in the evening. I have now seen Secondhand Lions, Pirates of the Caribbean 3 and both Blues Brothers movies in German, as well as three German comedies. As weird as it was to see some of those (i.e., POTC) in German, it was a lot of fun. It was kind of like being a little kid again. I didn't understand 99% of the jokes but could still appreciate slapstick humor. However, I did learn something, although rather indirectly, from our movie nights. I noticed that someone had written "Depp" on a picture of a politician on one of his posters and thought to myself "He looks nothing like Johnny Depp. It must mean something!" Turns out, it means prick.

Our days in Kronach were lazy--we toured the castle and the art museum there, then had lunch at a brewery and spent the afternoon in the park on Wednesday, and watched soccer all of Friday. Thursday was our Nürnberg trip. The doku-zentrum museum is probably the most informative museum I've ever been to regarding Hitler and the Third Reich, and it was fascinating.

We left German Family 2 yesterday for Munich. After we dropped the bags off, Martin and I split up. He went in search of the BMW Museum, and I chose to spend my afternoon in the Neue Pinotek and Pinotek Der Moderne. The Neue was splendid and just what I needed on a rainy Sunday, as the art was mainly from the 19th century and included pieces by both the impressionists and postimpressionists. It was also relatively uncrowded, especially when compared to the Moderne, where I spent half an hour before bailing to meet Martin at the hotel. We had an early dinner, then went to see Robin Hood. German movie theaters sell gummi bears AND beer. I'm in love with this country.

Today we went to Schloß Nymphenburg, which is beautiful. The weather's been kind of icky, so we didn't get to walk around the grounds too much. I guess that's a reason to come back, though. For lunch, we went to Hofbräuhaus, and I have to say this in so many words: Mother, you were right. I loved it. I want to go there everyday. It's wonderful! Huge steins of beer, potato dumplings, oompa bands, lederhosen AND a delicious dampfnudle for dessert. Then we walked around Marienplatz and the Viktualienmarkt for a few hours, and, after a peek inside Frauen Kirche, headed back to the hotel, where we are now. We're going to see When In Rome tonight. Somehow chick flicks are more appealing when you don't know what's being said the whole time. Tomorrow is Salzburg. I'll update then.

Peace,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment