22 June 2010

Salzburg, and Why I'm a Firm Believer in Retail Therapy

Last night was a horrible night for me, sleep wise. I couldn't fall asleep for hours, and, when I finally did, I was painfully aware that my dreams were in German. Usually the idea of dreaming in one of my languages thrills me, but last night it was awful. My dreams had been my one refuge from German and all it entails, the few hours a day where I could hear English and understand without effort. At least until last night. It was a struggle to drag myself from bed and down to breakfast, but I did, for the sole reason that today was our Salzburg trip.

Salzburg is perhaps the prettiest, or perhaps most ornate, city I've ever visited. Everywhere you turn, there's a beautiful building, quite often a church, stretching to the sky, with a backdrop of mountain. I really can see why the hills were alive with music. I mean, I'd probably sing all the time if I lived in that beauty.

We started off our day with a trip to the Mozarts Geburtshaus, or the house in which Mozart was born. It was a really interesting museum that included a lot about his operas. There was also a listening room, where I spent probably half an hour just enjoying the music. After that, we headed to some catacombs at Toscaninihof, after stopping in some churches along the way. For lunch we ate at the oldest restaurant in Eastern Europe (open since 806!), after which we split up, as Martin wanted to visit the Festung, and I am Festung-ed out.

As I wandered the winding cobblestones of Salzburg, I couldn't help but think really cheesy thoughts--that Mozart walked along these streets, and that maybe Julie Andrews stopped in this shop. And I guess I got lost in my sleep-deprived thoughts because, next thing I know, I am in front of a Mango store. I'm convinced that it was a sign from God or karma or the universe that I should shop and not try to sightsee anymore. If the fact that I just happened upon one of my favorite stores which I have no access to EVER doesn't convince you that I was destined to shop today, H&M, which just happened to be across the street, was having a huge sale. I mean, come on. So I spent my afternoon browsing the latest European fashion and ended up purchasing a few pieces, including sequined leggings a la Gaga. It was the perfect afternoon.

I was still tired, though, and, when I'm tired, I get homesick, and, for whatever reason, when I'm homesick, I crave Asian food. Martin is not a fan of Asian food, so I went to a Vietnamese restaurant by myself. It's weird, but I really miss drinking cheap white wine and eating cheap Asian noodles. My dinner tonight was definitely top five since I've been here, if solely for the fact that I needed a splash of home in my life.

Tomorrow we leave for Leipzig. I don't know what we'll be doing, really. There's a soccer game that night, though, which promises fun.

Peace,
Eli

No comments:

Post a Comment